Skip to main content

6 August 18 – The Snake, the Frog, and Me

The Forest is a busy place, and I find I am writing poems more and more about all the activity and those who create it. So many events arise here. For example, “Red Dog,” from 11 June speaks about a cheeky hummingbird; “Goose Walking,” presented in two parts (June 18 and 25) arose from simply watching a goose meander down a secluded Forest road. And of course, the Raven poems about my totem spirit who daily comes to visit in the pines around us.

Today’s poem arose from an encounter – a smaller one to be sure – yet just as significant and noteworthy in its own life-expressing way. The poem speaks to the almost daily effort that all creatures put forth to eat and stay alive. I quote from a recent post by Wannaska Writer:

Every day, the two-legged knew, was all about eating for everything on earth. Life circled around it. Nothing was done without it, nothing lived long without it. Eating was everything's everything.

The emphasis is mind: “Eating was everything’s everything.” Pause for thought, as today’s poem speaks directly to that observation. Every living thing must consume nourishment, including almost all plants that devour light and sip water at every opportunity. (Exceptions do apply.) Whether gorging on abundance, or subsisting on a monkish bowl of daily rice, eating is one of the more ubiquitous activities of all life.

The Snake, the Frog, and Me

Wispy rustle through low grass under summer leaves
                                                too close to ground for bird
                                                tremor too soft for squirrel
                                    I intrude under ferns –  rustling quickens
                                                kneeling in Forest shade I find the stricken
                                                one leg’s skin stripped down to bone
                                    Leaning closer I see it cannot leap away
                                                Rippled skin greenish gray – 
three dark stripes paint its lovely trembling back

                                    Closer still and quietly as I can
                                                more rustling – a quivering shudder within this smallness
                                                and still no attempt to leave
                                    Now an urge to stroke this broken one
                                                but all I do is peer – 
I intrude untimely but with small insult
                                    Mesmerized by the tiny beating heart
                                                at first, I do not hear the other ripple amid the grass and needles
                                                Bending closer still – lower than the grass
                                                I strain to discover this new creature’s faintest movement

                                    Asudden I am eye to eye with corpse-still other
                                                dark lidless eyes stare intent and blankly
                                                red tongue flicks out of slender head
                                                two bright yellow stripes arrow down three feet
                                                to tapered tail
                                    I almost startle but hold composure
                                                I expect twisting coils to exit quickly
                                                but not a flinch of scaly skin, nor blink of eye
                                                Tongue flicks out again – a predator’s warning
                                                head turns slightly revealing mouth wider than its body

                                    So entranced by ancient fear of snake
                                                For the moment, I fixate on the coils
                                                and the violated frog flees my thoughts
                                                but not so for snake’s riveted attention
                                                both deep in survival trance – to eat and to be eaten
                                    Snake’s intention firms and it finally makes its move
                                                a lightning slither – slight lift of head
                                                jaws open – plunge deeply into amphibian’s back
                                    
                                    eeeeeehh!

                                    piercing cry of fear not pain – a minor chorus calling out the oldest game
                                    strange chilling and so pitifully unwilling – tiny legs spread wide and kicking
                                    slender leg and tailbone already severed – all hopping a thing of weedy dreams

                                    Snake’s focus now all on hunger
                                                lifts up for final jaw lock on frog head
                                    Imagine horror of being eaten headfirst with broken back and useless limbs
                                    Now nearly inside reptile mouth – wider than itself – the meal begun
                                    I interfere once more – frog’s voice too hard to hear
I lightly stick-poke snake’s middle side
                                    but no mind it pays, frog shoulders disappearing

                                    Stupidly, I must have my way, interfering with this most natural scene
                                                                        of predator and prey
                                                                                    anyway
                                    I reach taking snake’s body above its tail
                                    and shake and flick it to cause release of frog
                                    and my tactic works as snake opens jaws and lets it fall
                                    
                                    What was I thinking!?
                                    Frog’s body just assaulted yet again
                                    Death not “if” but only when

Background
I walked along one of the Forest trails radiating from our log cabin in Beltrami Forest. Birches lined the path on both sides. To the south, a muddy pond rested as still as a smooth, reflective mirror.  Behind me, to the west, our cabin, and straight ahead, our neighbor’s property that included a sizeable pond which I meant to walk around with Willa, my German Shepherd. Then, to my left, I heard the smallest sound – that sound beings the poem. If you’ve read this far in the post, you know the rest of the story.

I am continually startled by the abundance of living going on around us – a condition not fully shared in our cities, despite the birds, rodents, raccoons, and the growing prevalence of wiley coyotes. 

Explorations
Exploration 1: What is your reaction when you read the description of being eaten head first? If the feeling makes you uncomfortable, is the feeling innate or learned?

Exploration 2: What is your opinion of the poet’s several interferences, especially the final one?

Exploration 3: Why is it we may feel disgust or horror when observing non-human beings as prey and predator, yet we, ourselves, typically eat other sentient beings without a quiver of conscience?

Your Monday Poet, Jack Pine Savage




Comments

  1. You picked up the snake while it was eating?! Yikes!

    I doubt I will ever move past my fear of snakes, unless it's one of my children being eaten.

    What a sight, though! I think I would have been too transfixed to act, choosing rather to witness, which also says something about humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some snakes here that I would gladly toss a frog to if it meant they would slither off to some other locale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To John and Kim:
      Your reactions are exactly what I meant when I said, "entranced by ancient fear of snake." Some say this fear comes straight from Eden's tree. Others claim it's why we took to the trees at night, so as not to be poisoned in our sleep. Still other people are certain the fear has a simple origin: the startle reflex at the quick-wiggling coils. Whatever the case, I missed out on the fear in the genetic evolution of my lineage. Perhaps that is why I have so few relatives and no children. Something to ponder. JP Savage

      Delete
  3. Aye, snakes and me go back a long way. So far back I can't remember the first time I ever saw one, but I guess I was never scared by one. Nobody ever chased me with a writhing snake body. Nobody ever warned me against touching one. Nobody around me apparently was so scared of snakes that it left negative connotations with me, neither did my mother leap from an upstairs window, nor my dad knife one with a four-tine pitch fork. No, I can't say I remember having a negative experience with a snake of the reptilian kind.

    But now that you mention it, I did recall an incident in 2008, outside of Elk River, Minnesota, where some friends, with an ox and cart, camped at a gun club there for the better part of a week. Loading my newly-purchased used van up with people, I waited patiently until everyone was aboard, including, it was apparent, a decent-sized garter snake just appeared on the passenger-side dash as though it had been awaken from a long drowsy hot afternoon nap. I deftly snatched it up and threw it out my window before my new friend Tom Thronsedt, from Jamestown, ND could see it, and from whom I had learned was terribly afraid of snakes those few weeks we walked the Pembina Trail from Pembina, ND to Saint Paul, Minnesota together for Minnesota's Sesquicentennial.

    One more little story involved a date I was on, on the outskirts of Des Moines, Iowa, outside the airport runway, 'a hundred years ago now', with a girl I married about six years later (she must have forgotten this incident then remembered it about the time she told me she wanted a divorce), who screamed so loud when I approached the car with an almost six-foot bullsnake wrapped around my arm, and calmly gestured for her to hand me the car keys, through the very top of the side-window, so I could slide the snake and my wrapped-up jean jacket into the trunk of my 1959 Chevy Belair sedan. Now, she was one who was very afraid of snakes, which I first learned at this juncture of our relationship. Who knew?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At last, someone else who doesn't have the "ancient fear." Snakes rule!
      Thanks for your great comments.

      Delete

Post a Comment