Skip to main content

The Wannaskan Almanac for December 24 2019


Ah Christmas Eve
I can feel the memories...
Of my wife's grandfather, towel over his arm, serving us eggnog and brandy. 
Of a ride in the car, looking at lights, and still believing in Santa Claus.
Of enduring my sister-in-laws Christmas Eve performances...and thinking how nice it would be to see one again.
Of struggling to sleep due to excitement.
Of wishing for Christmas to happen every day.
Of looking through the Sears Wish Book, every day, hoping.
Of wading through snow to make sure there was enough firewood to last through Boxing Day.
Of watching the stars in hopes to see a sleigh zipping by.
Of lighting candles.
Of sharing a beer with my father-in-law.
Of my mother always going above what seemed possible.
Of watching gleefully as my daughter opened presents.
Of gazing at my beautiful Christmas bride.



I could go on...but it is your turn.  Won't you add your favorite Christmas memory in the comments?
Merry Christmas!!!!

Comments

  1. My daughter and her husband created a 2019 Christmas memory for us on December 23, a pre-Christmas Christmas present: an ultra-sound image of their first child, due in late May. I sat there dumbfounded as my wife leaped from her chair to embrace her. I think tears shot from both my eyes, and at least one trickled down my cheek when I got up to join the excitement. I never thought she would have children as she wasn't one to naturally display a fondness for children, although children were naturally fond of her, and often watched her as she passed or came into a room, and then timidly came close to get a little something of what it was she had, in her very being.

    I had never queried her about having children. Her mother and I visited about this very thing about a month ago, so she was every bit surprised as I was when they presented the image to her, earlier that same day. Her drop-dead, wide-eyed reply wasn't typical of a new grandmother (unprintable here) and so created such a phenomenon in my son-in-law's family, that when the deacon's wife astonishingly repeated it, out of the blue hours later, that family almost fell flat on their behinds in laughter.

    Now that's a great Christmas memory!

    Another is that your mother-in-law's condition, in the hospital, had reportedly greatly improved and she is on the mend. Prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the year Santa tripped on the TV antenna guy wires on our roof and ended up sprawled by the back steps. Santa cannot die, but he looked pretty sick after his three story fall. We got Santa inside, and my mother gave him some mulled eggnog. Soon his jolly demeanor returned and he said he had to get back to work. Before he left he threw elvish sparkles into our eyes so we'd forget his embarrassing faux pas. But I dove under the table and so retained my best ever Christmas memory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment