Skip to main content

September 10, 2019...Your Nine Ten Shining Armor Edition of the Wannaskan Almanac

Ah, that pun was delicious...but you know what is really delicious?  Potato dumplings...or potato klubb as the Norwegians say.  They are a Wannaska area treat, but the thought of them brings up an important question...do you eat them with sugar or salt and pepper?  According to my Norwegian heritage sources it is sugar all the way, and lots of it!  This meat and potatoes guy though needs his salt and pepper.  I guess as long as we don't splash foreign substances on each others plates we will be able to coexist.
September 10 is the 253rd day of 2019.  There are 112 days left until 2019 can be laid to rest.  The birthstone for September is the sapphire.
The flower for September is the aster.  
If you were born today you were born und the vine according to the Celtic tree calendar.  This is due to the grape harvest that would occur during this time.  
Today is International Suicide Prevention day.  This was first done in 2004.  Today, and every day, we should strive to look for ways to help prevent suicide.  This site has good information on what you can do in your community to help prevent suicide.  There are many other resources that are available.  The best thing that you can do is talk to people, listen to them, and show that you care.  Who knows, maybe you can be a Nine Ten Shining Armor for someone dealing with suicidal thoughts!  For those of you who have felt the pain of suicide I offer you my sincerest condolences.  
I will leave you with a Lutheran benediction.  I have always wanted to do that!  
The LORD bless you and keep you. The LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you. The LORD look upon you with favor and give you peace.



Comments

  1. As a dumpling expert, I assure you both options are acceptable, especially if fruit is the former than pile on the sugar (and butter!). Now, have you ever heard of eating cooked spaghetti with poppy seed and powdered sugar. That's something I saw in Czech I couldn't really wrap my head around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah potato dumplings! I can remember that I had my first dumpling ever, was in Roseau County, Minnesota at "Aunt Alma's house", immediately west and south of the Roseau River bridge in Malung Township, northwest of the Malung school. Aunt Alma was my friend, Sue 'Jo-Jo' Johnson's, aunt and I recall how excited she was introducing dumplings to me. "Aunt Alma makes the best potato dumplings!"
    "Oh yeah, they're the best!" I tried to answer enthusiastically. " Yum!"

    I wondered then as I wonder now, that my own mother, a notable threshing camp cook in her day, hadn't introduced me to them as wonderful as they seem to be to so many people. Even Skinny-Joe McDonnell indulges those great dallops of grayish ground potato with a tub of real butter on the side, like there's no tomorrow when served Wednesdays at Johnnie's Cafe in Tuff Rubber Balls, a fact I am still astounded to witness him consume and remain pencil-thin. I'm sure Mom had her reasoning.

    Thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment