Skip to main content

NY-MI-MN with an Ontario interlude #CollegeRoadtrip

Hello and welcome to an absolutely sunny Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is June 15th, aka, the smack dab middle of June, peeps!

Last week, we left you hanging by your fingertips in the Finger Lakes region of New York. We thought we could take a quick side trip through them on our way from Syracuse to Rochester - which would have worked out great if we'd left our AirBnB sooner. The good news is we got a good gas at a good price - $2.69. (I assumed that gas would be more expensive in New England but it turned out to cost less than our pumps right here in Wannaska country.) We made it to Skaneateles - an adorable little community on the shores of a lake by the same name - and boy what a name that is! Tell me your pronunciation in the comments. (Skan-ee-ATls, Skan-ee-ATLAS, Ska-NEEDles?) However you pronounce it, all I could think about was the Dirty Dancing movie, which was technically in the Catskill Mountains, but for a MN'er like me, it's all upstate New York and yeah, I know that's a blanket statement, just like when folks ask us, "Where are you from?" and we say, "Northern Minnesota" and they say, "Oh, like Duluth?" and we shake our heads and say, "No, that's Northshore Northern Minnesota. We're from the chimney. You know? That little bit that sticks up at the tippy top?" (Note: Google tells me Dirty Dancing was actually filmed in the Appalachian Mountains in southwest Virginia.)

I digress.

Anywho, we made it through Auburn. There may have been a lake view, but my eyes were on the increased traffic. Auburn is also where the Harriet Tubman Home is. If we'd had time, I would have loved to stop. But by this time, I kept checking the clock and the number crunching was not equating to an on-time ETA for our last college visit before the weekend.

Seneca Falls was a blur of ever increasing traffic and an ever increasing heart rate as I watched the dashboard clock. Adding the extra hour for the time zone change (Gosh, darn it, EST time) only ratcheted my anxiety. Where were all these people headed on a Friday morning at 9:00 am - excuse me - 10:00 am? Sure it was Friday, but didn't they have work to go to or something?

Just before Waterloo, we bailed on our sidetrip jaunt and hightailed it north to catch the freeway - excuse me - the thruway - and made it just in time to our next destination in Rochester, NY.

The MAGIC Center @ RIT


Did you know that Rochester, New York was the home to Kodak and to Bausch & Lomb? (Think cameras and contact lenses.) It has about a million people and is the third largest city in New York. It's 45 minutes away from a ski hill (which, as we toured colleges, crept up in the rank of priorities of wants in a college) and there are 23 colleges in the Rochester area. For me, it had sort of a Duluth feel in a St. Cloud setting (if that makes any sense.)

Hands down, our favorite part of our visit to Rochester was Shop One - RIT Made Art + Craft + Design which features items all made by RIT students, alum and faculty. Unfortunately, the shop was closed for inventory and whatnot. Fortunately, the shopkeeper took pity on us when she saw us press our faces onto the storefront windows (and then the side windows, next to the Post Office) and let us in to look around.

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) is the home of the Illuminating Digital Immersion Blender and the Rice + Grains Washing Colander. It was here the autoseal on your Contigo Travel Mug was invented - "the world's first truly 100% spill proof travel mug" -  and the Vidget - a 3-in-1 chair-desk-stool that accommodates the little wigglers in your life. Not to mention, plenty of gorgeous art.

But if I had to pick just one thing, it would have to be the Modkat Litter Box.



Essentially this store showcased Industrial Design in action and it was - AWESOME! For the daughter, it really solidified her interest in "building a better mousetrap" as a friend on our trip best summed it up.

In the evening, we found ourselves pitching our tent in a soggy campground just off of Lake Ontario. The sunset made me nostalgic for home.


Hamlin Beach State Park on Lake Ontario

The weekend was spent hightailing it from UP NY to UP MI via the southern Ontario shortcut. An  uptick in deer carcasses littering the highways reminded me that, yes, we were indeed getting closer to home.

After sleeping on the ground for two nights, I had my pj's on and was luxuriating in my hotel bed with the super soft white sheets with my latest read, The President is Missing, by 5:00pm Sunday night on the Hancock side of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge.

Our hotel was right next to the bridge. Our view was of the parking lot.


Monday morning hailed our LAST COLLEGE VISIT, which started bright and early at 8:30 am. (Hence the 5:00 pm bedtime.) Our entire trip, we never had a visit start earlier than 10:30. But it was the last one and then we'd be on our way home. I think the eagerness for her own bed spurred the teen to be packed and ready to go.

Here's my handy Wannaskan Alamanc tip for the week: If ever you choose to visit Michigan Tech, take the whole family and plan to be there the entire day. Heck, it is so far north on that little finger poking into Lake Superior, you might as well make a whole family trip of it. Michigan Tech wins the prize for best and most freebies given on a college tour. Free parking, free coffee, free postcards (a big win in our book because we sent postcards from every school we visited), free lunch, a string bag, a water bottle, a 20% off coupon at the bookstore and a VIP pass to use one of any of their fun recreational facilities. (Note: There's a ski hill right in the middle of town.)

For Wannaska kids looking for a big school experience with a small town feel - this is it.

Houghton, Michigan brags 235 inches of snow tempered with reasonable cold - an ideal 15 degrees. If you're an outdoors lover - this is the place for you.

As we headed west, and gained an hour once we were back in our own time zone, the daughter and I reflected on the past two weeks. In total, we visited twelve schools. Amazingly, each one was a new experience, had a new feel, and was unique in its own way. The most important thing about the trip was it created context, i.e., it made college real. This was especially important for my daughter who is very literal and likes to know what to expect.

Praise the good Lord, we made it home safely with no vehicular mishaps, nothing lost or forgotten. The cats greeted us with vociferous purrs and insistent passes around our legs.

It's been a long journey. Not just these past two weeks, but this entire past school year as we have traversed the hilly terrain between, "Can't we talk about this when I'm a senior?" to "I can't wait for our trip."

She learned how to read a paper map and I learned how to order Domino's pizza online.

But, was it worth it, Kim?

Was it worth it to drive 3,000+ miles to visit all these places that we're not even sure our daughter can get into, let alone afford and so far away? Was it worth it to spend all that money, drive through Chicago, New York City and Boston, not to mention all those toll roads? Did the expense of food and lodging not break the bank? And, how in the world, did you tolerate tent camping? Didn't the teen drive you nuts? Didn't you drive her nuts? What if the weather hadn't cooperated? What if? What if?

Ten years ago when I participated in a leadership program, my life coach told me that my currency of value was relationships. So on that note -

Yes, it was totally worth it.


Kids' Corner 

Welcome back and the WAKWIR is back with another update in Czech Republic.

So right after my last blog was posted I called my mom on Skype, then I packed my backpack, hopped in a Å koda Fabia on a 45 min. ride to ZaÅ¡ova, Zlín Region. This is also where my second uncle lives. When we got there, we ate some food, with my cousins we played PubG, Surviv.io( both fun battle royale games), and went to sleep. The next morning we got up, had breakfast my first uncle came and we drove to this fun day celebrating 100 years of TATRA, an automotive truck company. It was actually pretty fun. There was a Lamborghini and a new Mustang, and a testing track where the hot rods went at pretty fast speeds. I got to go on some gokarts and it was pretty fun except that I burned my arm on the motor and the exhaust blew right where I had just burned my arm. There also was a helicopter, but we didn’t have the money for it. Well, it all went well. I got to see some awesome cars in action, got to see a helicopter land and take off at least 50 times, got to see the new Ford F-Max get rained on, and, yeah that's all I have for today, and,bye bye!

David (aka Wannaskan Almanac Kid Writer-in-Residence)

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1991 - Mount Pinatubo explodes
The stratovolcano's eruption was one of the most violent of the 20th century. About 800 people died, but the event had also global consequences. For example, it caused a global temperature drop of 0.5 °C (0.9 °F).

1977 - Spain holds the first free elections since 1936
The transition to democracy followed nearly four decades of right-wing dictatorship under Francisco Franco. Adolfo Suárez became Spain's first democratically elected Prime Minister.

1954 - The Union of European Football Associations is founded
The UEFA is the umbrella organization for association football in Europe. It comprises 54 member countries in Europe and Asia.

1844 - Charles Goodyear patents vulcanization
The American inventor is credited with developing the basic concept of strengthening rubber by adding sulfur or similar materials. Vulcanized rubber is today used for a wide array of products, such as tires and shoe soles.

1667 - The first human blood transfusion is administered
Jean-Baptiste Denys, physician to King Louis XIV of France, transfused sheep blood into a 15-year-old boy. He survived, most likely due to the relatively small amount of blood used.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1984 - Tim Lincecum, American baseball player

1969 - Oliver Kahn, German footballer

1964 - Michael Laudrup, Danish footballer

1941 - Neal Adams, American artist

1941 - Harry Nilsson, American singer-songwriter, musician

Remembering You

1996 - Ella Fitzgerald, American singer

1993 - James Hunt, English Grand Prix driver, 1976 World Drivers' Champion

1941 - Evelyn Underhill, English poet

1888 - Frederick III, German Emperor

1849 - James K. Polk, American politician, 11th President of the United States

Get outside, have an adventure and make it a great Saturday!

Kim


Comments

  1. Auburn, NY eh? One of the Finger Lakes communities? They are what I look for when I fly to Boston and are interesting phenomenon to me; I even saw Niagara Falls this trip. I like getting a window seat, looking down at the communities and farms below; observing the lay of the land, thinking what people are doing just then, just as I do sometimes when jets are traveling overhead. The trips I've been one with Joe, he's always been a great source of information.

    Auburn is north of Ithaca, it looks like. I visited Ithaca in 1966 for a national church youth conference. We were in buses coming from Des Moines. We spent a few days, in dorms, at Cornell University listening to various speakers, ane even learned how to protect ourselves during non-violent protest demonstrations; heard about Bob Dylan, sang some of his songs, learned about what was happening during the Civil Rights Movement during that time period; and generally toured the place. On a walk off campus, I discovered Ithaca Gun Works where my shotgun was made.

    We even went to NYC, went to the top of the Empire State Building, took in a show at Radio City Music Hall--watched as a car came down the sidewalk at us, then swerve back onto the street after clipping off a street sign. The passenger traded seats with the driver and off they went.

    Fortuitously, just before we left for Iowa, I met a lovely girl my age on the bus, from Sigourney, Iowa, Nadine ... Something or other, shouldn't implicate her exactly, although I do remember her last name. Nadine and I set the long distance kissing record for 1966 on that bus, only coming up for air at rest areas and stops at Howard Johnson's. Quite the accomplishment, I'd say. Alas, I never saw her again.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Enjoyed your Odyssey. I agree with you about Michigan Tech. Remote yet not too far. Beautiful area. Skiing.
    We just got back into Minnesota tonight (Mankato) and I'm catching up on my Almanac reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment