Skip to main content

24 June 19 - The One – Song 6: Weighing Anchor, Segment 1

Last time, our young heroes had just finished a meeting with their teacher who has encouraged them to reach for the stars – or at least spread their wings and learn to fly. All the planets appear to be converging to facilitate the launch of a journey into unknown territory. One might ask from what source young people feel such calls to adventure, exploration, and discovery. The teacher certainly adds speed to their trajectory. Then after months of waiting, as is said, “I feel like something’s bound to show up soon.” And it does in the form of – well no spoilers here. What does arrive, however, begs the question of the role of will power and intention and their effect on life events.




Weighing Anchor – Segment 1
Winter snowmelt hurries down a thousand
tiny streams to feed the widening water
Months have been swallowed up since Hart and I
sealed our pact to leave, but here it is Spring
again, and we remain in Chickopee
with only weeks before books are finished
and not one rescuer that I can see
to show us how to get away and free

“I feel like something’s bound to show up soon,”
I say to Hart who sits beside me high
up the slope above the rushing river
“We can’t stay here forever,” he predicts
but how to leave – where to go – I can’t see”
Hart purses his lips mischievously,
“For the first, I’ve heard walk, run, ride or fly
            are the usual means depending whether
                        you are a turtle, horse, human, or bird
            And for the second, I’d say, north, south, east or west
                        or finer compass points between those four.”
“You take this all so lightly,” I complain
            “We’re stuck here and that’s no joking matter.”

Hart sits up straight and studies me closely.
“Your seriousness is doing us no good –
            just taking all the fun right out of it.”
“If you want to know the truth, I’m growing
            more afraid we will never leave this place”
“Fear will keep us here,” Hart says carefully.
“I know. I know. I’m not afraid to leave.”
“Of course not, since it hasn’t happened yet.
            But staying is already here and this
            is what you claim to be afraid of now”
I say nothing and so Hart speculates,
“With ‘how’ and ‘where’ so unknown and mental 
            some fear may be the right thing for a while”

I stand up suddenly, and arch my back
            stretch my arms, “I wish someone would swoop down
                        and scoop me up and carry me away!”
“Then you should get a magic flying horse.”
“That would do,” I say slumping to a squat
“So, you think something magic has to happen?”
            Hart is only half-teasing as he asks
“Well, sort of, but that will never happen”
            I wag my head in deep resignation
“We could make some magic of our own kind”
I hear no joke. “What is your invention?”
“Well, first we must make a strong intention”
“Go on. I can’t imagine what you’ll say”
“Quiet. I’m thinking. It has to be right”
Anxiously, I stop talking – wait for him
            but I cannot wait, and explode at Hart
“What on earth does that mean, Hart? Intention?”
“Oh, something like, ‘we swear to leave this place
            or die in the attempt’” He’s not smiling
“Okay.  Then what, oh great and mighty one?”
“Now you say it.” Hart’s face is unsmiling 
“You just said it.” I think I call his bluff
“Not good enough. We both have to say it.”
“All right,” I sigh, close my eyes, head downward.
            “We swear to leave or die in the attempt
We’ll do it soon!” I add for emphasis
“There.  We’ve done it.” Hart thrusts his fist skyward.
“Done what?” Nothing has changed, and we’re still here”
“I can’t believe how dense you are sometimes.”
            Hart smiles and shakes his head in mock despair
“We’ve said some words, and now the rescue comes?”
“No, you fool! There’ll be no magic rescue!
            See, leaving means we will have saved ourselves.
            The first step is to know you are leaving”
“When did you become so wise and knowing?”
“While you were so busy down and moping.”

I leap playfully and knock Hart backwards
            straddling his hips and pinning his thin arms
“No fair picking on the poor crippled kid,” 
            he laughs and rolls me over on my back
We reverse our positions several times 
as we roll down the bank into water
where we dunk and soak each other laughing
finally panting, we kneel in the shallows
The spring-cold river spits us up gasping
We trudge drenched to the bank and strip our clothes
to bare decency, and hang shirts and pants
socks and shoes to dry on budding bushes 
“Brrrrr! That water’s cold,” I say shivering
“Good practice for our leaving here,” Hart quips

Two crows caw raucously in the branches
“See, they agree,” Hart says pointing.  “Maybe . . .
they’ll even point the way for us to fly”
He looks at me impishly as he hangs
his shirt on a raspberry bush and I look
up to the two black birds’ glistening feathers.
I catch a silver glint from one crow’s eye
and I remember a bird much like this
that I knew well – long ago before I
                                    knew true from false, or crow’s eye from starshine
                                    in a place far from here that I called home
                                    where I met a dragon, the first of nine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More weeks pass and spring seeps into summer
The languid river long-since crested flows 
with the shimmering heatwaves and we two
go there when we can to watch uprooted
trees float downstream, their bare branches wet-black
drifting sodden in the river’s current
like unearthed drastic corpses drowned and dark.
The day’s generous sunlight dances sparks
off the ripples and eddies – small fish rise
and break the surface with gray flapping tails
We are silent with the day’s hushing warmth
My head feels heavy in a pleasant way
My mind settles into even humming
            unusually empty of scattered thoughts
I droop and doze as Hart already does
Then far upstream I see something bobbing
A tree trunk?  I wonder, shading my eyes 
            squinting out toward it.  A large box? A crate?
Now a glint of color floats up – dark red
This is no tree, I decide and jostle
Hart who groans and fends me off sleepily,
“Something’s floating down the river. Look! See!”
He raises up on his elbows, blinking 
“It’s nothing.  Just another drunken tree.”
He flops back down to resume his napping
I wait several minutes staring raptly
at the red approaching apparition.
When I am sure, I poke Hart’s arm again
“Now what’s up?” he testily rolls over

“It’s a boat!” I tell him standing straight up
Hart jumps up and we both scuttle sideways
down the riverbank to investigate
The red boat is much nearer now, dipping
its high-peaked prow gently in the current
as if nodding ‘yes’ to an unasked question.
The boat looks empty, and no one steers her
Hart and I know the current’s downstream path
and so determine an intercept course
where it will most likely swing the vessel
nearest to the riverbank and toward us
We scurry quickly along the shoreline
navigating tree roots, mud and large rocks
Our pace is too slow to make the junction
At once, I see only one chance for us
to capture this floating prize and beach her 
With not a word to Hart I waddle in 
catch the current and swim with it to get
ahead of the boat.  Hart shouts from the shore
but I can’t make out his words as I turn 
to face the current – swim hard against it

Now the wooden boat is bearing down fast
I am in its path and mean to catch it
I can see a rope trailing from the bow
The last few feet close faster than I gauge
The bow slides by.  I miss the hanging rope
but kicking upward I grab the gunwale
and hold on as the current carries us
like driftwood caught and helpless in its flow
 Hand over hand, I reach the bow and grab
the rope and wind it round my wrist and hand
Now, I relax and float with the current
downstream closer to the bank where I will
pull this trophy onto shore.  I look back
upriver where Hart is falling behind
as the current and his crippled leg stretch 
the space between us.  Still, he is running
scrambling along the bank as best he can
Soon enough I see the river curve where
the current swings toward shore. I swim harder
toward the bank towing the boat behind me
The weight of her proves more than I expect
My arms tire and the shore seems far away
I begin to wonder if I’ll have to
let her go – this certain way to freedom
I will not do it.  I will not let her go.


Background:
With the above segment read, it’s relatively easy to study the motives, the intentions, and the departure activities of these two young people. One might ask where their fears play a part; however, fearlessness, even in the face of some anxiety, appears to be the order of the day. In addition, there is considerable talk about being rescued vs. saving themselves. Hart will have none of either. A significant development of each of the characters evolves as the nascent adventure unfolds. Such a variety of views makes it easy to question our own youthful (and not so youthful) approaches to stability vs. adventure, self-sufficiency vs. dependency.

In my adolescent years, I couldn’t wait to leave my home town. The pull away from the town of about 15,000 people burned a hole in my psyche. Naturally, such an intense desire manifested and I did “get away.” Cosmic wit, however, exposed me to irony I could never have dreamed up, i.e. after college, I ended up back in that same town of my youth! I even immersed myself in the life of the community by teaching high school. As it turned out, now that I look back over the decades, that was the best job I ever had – so satisfying, such a feeling of contribution. In any case, I did make a second “escape” about 8 years later when I moved to San Diego, my other home town. But that’s another story.

Exploration #1: Is it believable that the red boat shows up just when the two main characters want so terribly to get away? What about the boat’s owner who the duo did not even try to locate? Could this be an early peek into the basic morality operative, especially in the main character?

Exploration #2: What differences are beginning to develop between Hart and the main character? Similarities? Who has the “healthier” approach to their joint intention to leave Chickopee?

Exploration #3: Early in this segment, a brief conversation takes place about the role of magic in adventure. The main character is prone to leaning toward magic, whereas Hart appears to be more practical and realistic. Are their views complementary or in opposition? Or is it too early to tell?

Exploration #4: In a literary device view, what does the red boat symbolize, in your opinion?



You can read the full texts of Songs 1-5 by clicking here.







Comments


  1. Drifting boats turn up all the time. You catch it and tie it up and wait for the owner to show up. If no one claims the boat, it's yours. Law of the sea.
    I'm not sure yet if the main character is one who follows the law. Has he or she been taught the laws?
    Hart seems like he would be happy hanging around the little town forever with his friend MC. Maybe his disability makes him cautious.
    Magic? It's magic that we're here at all. Everything that happens comes from spells, good or bad. We make our choices, or at least it feels like we do.
    As a literary device, the red boat is a "navis ex machina."


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're baaack! One of my readers who I'm always excited to hear from. It would seem that your naval experience has given you insight into the maritime aspects of this epic. Cool. Didn't realize one didn't have an obligation to try to find a boat's owner. Guess our characters didn't either, eh?
      As for "laws," perhaps the main character is too curious and adventuresome to let a little thing like the law get in the way of discovery.
      Yes, Hart makes a very good counterpart with his stability and common sense. My sense is that Hart doesn't let the disability create an obstacle; yet, no doubt it makes adventures more challenging
      Love your take on magic. So far as we know at this point, we are alone in the universe. Could change any day, but for now . . . And yes, I agree that all the happenings in life are simply amazing. For your consideration: Buddhism has a core tenet called impermanence, and another called interdependent co-arising. Impermanence is not only long term, but also from tiny moment to tiny moment. Everything in constant motion. With that condition, it's no surprise that everything and everyone continually bumps into one another; causes and conditions constantly underlie the magic of the universe arising together.
      Love "navis ex machine." FYI, when I first started work on this epic, I owned a 44 foot Morgan that inspired much of the nautical imagery and experiences.

      Delete

Post a Comment