Skip to main content

29 April 19 - The One – “Song 4: Separation” Segment 3

Today’s post brings us to the one-third point in this fourth Song. This portion brings us to an up-close and personal teacher-students “moment.” Something powerful begins. A great seed is planted. Hopefully, the quickening pace will please and delight readers. This teacher is not cut from ordinary cloth, and one wonders how many teachers would take the time to meet students on this psychological level. No matter. The game’s afoot!


My teacher drops to the floor, sits cross-legged
and suddenly, towering over him this
feels all wrong – not my place but my head hums
in my ears, so he has to be the one
This keeps me from startling like a scared dog
I slowly sink down silent facing him
I hear chirping rustling birds in green vines
outside open windows there is no time

The teacher cocks his head inquiringly
as if to ask the time or direction
I see he will wait to dust for me to
be the first to speak, so like the one-note
peeping sparrows clinging to the trembling
vines, I whisper, “Something different you said.”
“Oh that! Of course! Of course!” he cheeps right back
Now in a deep and serious voice, “but that
depends on the difference you are wanting.”
Anger flares up in me. I flush and glower
            Old frustrating heap of locked up secrets!
            I want to beat his chest with hot, balled fists
                        and demand he tell what he’s hiding
            Just now thesound presses heavy inside
            my thoughts, shifting my intention to more
                        cunning ways.  I will drag this old man out
                        if it takes all night and another day!

I breathe in long and exhale. “You said you
could see that we are different.  How is that?”

My seeming simple question undams floods
of rushing words banked by two wild gesturing
hands that shape and flutter their meaning so 
I am not sure whether to follow them
or listen, and settle in to try both

“Well, let us speak not of two but just you
since your good friend isn’t presently here.”
I make a point not to speak of others
when they are not here.  It seems low stealing
of information that is owed elsewhere.
So, as you ask, I will speak of only 
one – that is, of you – the one sitting close.
I can see your treasures bright as any
gold hoard piled high in a sly dragon’s cave.”
A dream-scent of a dark green cave wafts just
                        under my nose.  Owl-like I blink both eyes.
            He doesn’t notice as he rumbles on

“You are one who’s so different that even
a blind one can see your light, feel your heat.
Such ones as you make others ill at ease
in their compared darkness, but you mistake
your light for a kind of dimness.  You try
to hide yourself, but like a blazing lamp
inside a slatted box your beams slant out
and paint the darkness.  Such is your quickening.”

I almost catch his meaning. At least I
            feel its good intention, but I’m puzzled
He sees my knitted brow and stops his talk.
Silently, he nods, shakes his head, and says,
“My friend, forgive me. I’ll contain myself.
You see your good light dazzles me as well
You were born of stars and to the stars you
belong, but between, you find yourself here.”
He pauses, looks out the vine-hung window.


“Do you hear that sparrow singing out there?”
“I hear many chirps. There is more than one.”
            But silently I wonder how he knows
            that I’ve been listening to these noisy birds
“Yes, you are right, but listen closer now.
Do you hear a difference among those birds?”

I close my eyes and listen hard like when
I focus on my inside sound and this
helps me hear each bird amid the many
Soon I hear one who though farther off is
chirping madly as if alarmed or with
something most urgent to communicate
.
“Yes, now I hear one making more noise by
herself.  She may see some danger they don’t.”
“Perhaps,” he says, “or perhaps he sounds for
other reasons.  It matters that you hear.”
“So what?” I say and toss my head as if
dismissing and move on to bigger things.
“Your voice is like that white-throated sparrow.”
He leans close to speak the unfurled secret.
“Your need to sing is much stronger because
you see so much.  You will never settle
for anything but the wide world and its
potent song and you will go to any
length to hear it.  Just so, you are different.”
Something in me feels his meaning because
            such words have come before in nightshade dreams.
            where I’ve mapped familiar sea and star ways

The odd teacher speaks more, leaning closely
“Like these sparrows we all share some outward
common feathers.  But in our sparrow-hearts
lie the difference a kindred bird can see.
Most people are content among the vines 
and branches close to home, but you are not . . .”

“I hate this place!  I hate all these people!”
My voice roars out before I can stop it
but I’m not sorry now the words are out

“It is quite natural for your time.  Some day
you may remember us with something more.”
“I have to leave!”         “You will soon enough.”
“Do you think so?”      “You can count on it.”
“But when?”                “The instant you’re truly ready.”
“When will that be?”   “You will know for certain.
            Now excuse me.  I’ve lessons to prepare.”


I am relieved that this is ending for
tears are welling up and my throat is thick.
“We can meet for talks often, if you like,”
he says as we rise.  I nod twice sharply.
“For now, remember who you are and that
all is right with you.  When people say things
otherwise, it’s what’s in them, not in you.”
 “Thanks.” I can barely whisper and turn and 
hurry out the door in early twilight

My feet make light upon the path away
I am thinking hard of stars and small birds
Of the dragon words he spoke, one on one
            to me, not Jani, and unexpected
            leaning against an oak tree glowering
Jani waiting, looking down, kicking dirt


Background
Teacher-student relationships can be some of the most important meetings in the lives of young people. A teacher worth his/her salt nearly always wishes for contact with students outside of the classroom in service to their emergence as full-fledged human beings. A skilled teacher/mentor will gently but intentionally draw out the main issues the student faces, not offering easy solutions, but rather, in the interest of the student’s self-discovery, and growth in personal insight. This teacher has such skill.

Exploration #1: Do you approve of the teacher’s approach, i.e., seeing the main character alone, and without Jani? Is the approach appropriate for the age level he is addressing?

Exploration #2: Why does the main character suspect that the teacher is “the one.” At this point, is it possible to ascertain what this search is about?

Exploration #3: Can you interpret the excerpt below, spoken by the teacher to his student?

Such ones as you make others ill at ease
in their compared darkness, but you mistake
your light for a kind of dimness. You try
to hide yourself, but like a blazing lamp
inside a slatted box your beams slant out
and paint the darkness.  Such is your quickening.”


NEXT: SONG 4 – SEGMENT 4 – Emergence Continues . . . 

Songs 1-3 can be read in sequence here.





Comments

  1. Ah, Monday snowy morning. I learned through a backchannel that The One is not you. The One is all of us. However this is The One from your viewpoint. Not to be facetious, but some people see The One as Garth Brooks. Of course you've given this more thought than most country fans. #1 unfortunately brings to mind #me too. A teacher can no longer meet alone with a young student if he or she wants to keep a job in teaching. #2 The teacher sinks to the floor below the student, then asks riddling questions, then says the student is filled with a treasure. The key may be in a sparrow's song. #3 Don't hide your light under a bushel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks! Who was the snitch, I wonder? Yes, “the one” is today’s “Everyman.” And yes, those who aren’t interested in themselves can always find someone to fill the yawning gap of identity. Elvis has done the trick for thousands. Then there are those dang cheeseheads east of us wearing their wedges of cheddar on their heads. Number 1 was intended to arouse just the reactions you have, but it is a trick exploration. After all, has the story (so far) given a hint of the time period – ah, but again, I say too much. For #2, I hope you were as lucky as I was during my school years – a teacher who believed in me and helped me see my light. If you had more than one, count yourself blessed. Check mark on the “sparrow’s song.” #3: This is one of my favorite passages in this poem. What an amazing experience to be seen and to have help “painting” ourselves until we have a blazing canvas. Thanks for being there and for your spelunking.

      Delete

Post a Comment