Skip to main content

15 April 19 - The One – “Song 4: Separation” Segment 2

With this segment, the second portion of “Separation,” we reach the next unfolding of events within this fourth Song. Our main character has matured significantly; however, much of the childish remains. Perhaps the most delightful aspect of this segment is that the protagonist at last speaks in the language of conventional reality – approaching quasi-adult. In addition, two new characters enter the story – one roughly the main character’s age; the other their teacher. These three mix it up almost immediately. Jani, the young friend, suggests a “caper,” and our main character goes along – until something unexpected happens.

Jani appears to ignite something in our hero. Whether it is a positive ignition or not will unfold, but won’t have an easy interpretation. The other new character, their teacher, presents a twist on the usual teacher-student relationship.

Please enjoy this expanding narrative complete with plot and dialogue – at last.


In the bright days after summer I sit
before the next teacher – just another
in a long line of them, droning and dull.
I drum my fingers, hang my head, look out
and away – far away – from him and books,
tune my ears to muffle his sound drowning  
this old puddle drying up from white-hot
silver-wire tone – this constant colored dance
my faithful note of hidden consonance

Most others around me sit up straight like
the blunt and obedient ones they are
Some slant their disapproving looks toward me
Most do not notice, do not care, or worse
Only one person holds my attention
            and we exchange glances full of meaning
            but speak only with signifying eyes
sharing a secret that is understood

When we are let out like so many sheep
            I approach the stranger and give my name
“Jani’s mine. J-A-N-I, like Jan plus
             an eye.” underscored with index fingers
            pointing to each green eye, and going on,
  “I’m glad you are here.  You aren’t like the rest.”

  “Two months we’ve been here because we had to
 leave the last place – something my brother did
           is all I know.  This town is nothing like
                        where I’m from – even its name is real dumb.
  Who’d think of naming a place Sparrowtown?”

“I know,” I say. “Imagine living here
            since you were born – like me – trapped, chained and stuck
                        with idiots pointing and making fun
            You are lucky to be from somewhere else.  

We laugh together and avoid 
the others playing with sticks and red balls
“What a bunch of kids they are,” I turn.
“Look at them,” I pronounce. “We’ve got to find
            better places to spend our time, all right.”  
 “I know!” says Jani stamping a foot hard.
“Since most the time we’re with this old teacher,
            let’s go and tell him how boring he is.”
“We can’t do that!”
“Why not?”
I think hard ‘why not’ but I come up dry
So, shrugging my shoulders I say, “Let’s try.”

Silently I’m disappointed if this
is the best Jani can do.  I’d started 
to think here might be someone like me who 
could show the path to get away.  But I 
say nothing because what Jani has said 
is better than the nothing in my head 

We find the old teacher sitting reading
a book under a tree.  He looks up when
we wander toward him – Jani first – then me
“Hello there,” he says, but doesn’t get up
Yet he closes his yellow-paged book and
waits for us to say more – to say why we
are here standing around scuffling our feet.

Suddenly, Jani puts hands on hips, glares
and says, “You’re boring.  We thought you should know!”
Jani’s voice makes me brave and I pipe up,
“Yeah!  You’re boring.  You’ve blathered enough!”
The teacher nods, puts a finger to lips,
tilts his head right, eyes slide up and to left.
He rises slowly.  We take two steps back.
More silence. What are we trying to prove?
We three stand there, no one making a move

The teacher strokes his chin, looks down on us
“Yes.  I wondered when you two would notice
I’ve been waiting for you since the year’s start
Good!  Now what do you think we three should do?”

Jani and I look at each other, stunned
This is not at all what we expected
but then we hadn’t really thought this out.
I poke Jani signaling something needs
to be said and with eyebrows say I’m not
the smarter one whose idea this is

“We’re different, you know,” Jani says at last.
“We are not like the others,” I chime in.
“I saw that right away,” says the teacher.
(He is serious, I begin to think.)
“We’re not interested in playing with balls,”
says Jani puffing up and standing tall
and straight and shifting shoulders left and right
“What interests you?” the smiling teacher asks.
Jani looks at me.  The hot coal’s been passed.
The sound in my head flares up in a blast
              That means something’s here, I say to myself
“We want something different from what they get.”
Jani looks at me with a furrowed brow.
The teacher nods, “Of course! You are clearly 
different from every student who is here!”

This makes me blink, rapidly shake my head
but I won’t show I don’t know what he’s said.
“Yes. Right.” I tender. “But can you give it?”
Jani stares – drops out of the verbal joust.
The teacher purses his lips, nods twice, looks
straight at me and says, “Yes, but not in books.”
Now as if shaken out of a deep sleep
            the teacher remarks, “Look what time it is!”
He turns and strides long, clapping his big hands
            a slow rhythm that gathers others in
            from their balls and games, and Jani and I
bring up the rear most certainly chagrined
Jani hisses in my ear, “What’s all this!?”
“What stupid game have you got us into?”
            I return the sizzle, pushing Jani
“You’re the one who started it, oh great brain!”
“But there’s no telling what he will do now!”
“That is the point.  Or are you backing out?”
“You can count on me. I’m all in with you.
You are so right; we can’t know what he’ll do.”

But I’ve decided to see where this goes.
Back in the room, all the sheep take their seats
            but Jani and I stand right at the back
The teacher ignores us – pulls out a book
Things we study seem the same as before
but now something is changed.  Something is more.
I can’t help listening and watching for clues.  
Jani droops, head on chest – pretends to snooze

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Three days go by much the same.  Finally, I
cannot stand it and it is clear to me
that the teacher and Jani are content
to ignore us talking under the tree.
I tell Jani what I intend to do.
“Go ahead.  Suit yourself.  Pick that old bone.”
Jani’s parting words as I’m left alone

At the third day’s end all are gone but me
and the sphinxlike teacher straightening up
He shuffles papers – doesn’t look my way
I make a noise in my throat to signal
I’m here but I get no response or talk

Finally, I can stand it no more and I
scuffle toward the tall old man who now is
humming a quick tune to himself.  I must
stand staring right at his chest before he
sees me and then he simply looks and waits.
Well, I’m here now and have to say something!
This old man will wait until I am dead!
I scrunch my shoulders – give my forehead lines
I put my left hand on my hip and look
            up straight into his glittering gray eyes

“You said you could,” is all I’ll say, hoping
in this way to force him to speak out first
“Could what?” he says. His eyebrows rise an inch
“Give us something different,” I coolly say.
“Oh yes! But of course! But who is this ‘us’?
 I see only you.  Where is your young friend?”
He shades his eyes – looks over empty room

“It is only me,” I say quietly
He pauses, exhales slowly, says, “I see.”
More silence – I begin to feel a fool
I turn and make to run away, but his
big hand holds my shoulder and whirls me round.
“Very well.  Let’s begin! You looked. You found.”

Background
Remember your early youth? What first comes to mind? Surely, some memories are about dubious and unwise deeds; but this is the nature of youth, is it not? The personal transition from very young to middling young brings tests to most people. Carving out an identity, although not realized in those terms, becomes paramount. Exploring the existence of possibilities and of the flexibility of beliefs raises delicate inquiries, and discovering new values is the order of the day.

After the first encounter with the teacher, our hero silently observes: “Things we study seem the same as before, but now something is changed. Something is more.” This is probably an opening to that “something more.” Like all good heroes, the journey has begun in earnest, and experiential travels spark an air of adventure. Again, recall this time of life for yourself. Advantages? Real deficits? And why have lines of italics (the main character’s inner life) declined to a dribble? Could engagement with the “real” world be altering?

Exploration 1: The protagonist observes those in the cohort, and thinks, “Most others around me sit up straight like the blunt and obedient ones they are.” Does this seem a fair description of the group? Does the description speak to the main character’s view of the world? Of self? If so, what might those views be?
Exploration 2: Does the relatively quick connection between the main character and Jani come across as believable? If so, what is it that brings them together?
Exploration 3: What do you think of the way the teacher handles the two youngsters?
Explorations 4: What exactly is it that these two young people are looking for, and why do they single out their teacher to try to get it?

NEXT: Encounter with the teacher.

Songs 1-3 can be read in sequence here.











Comments

  1. The protagonist seems a little hard on her classmates, except for Jani. The understanding between them seems believable, but why does Jani fade away. The protagonist seems impatient with the world. The teacher is like the sage who lets the novice figure things out for herself. The two students are looking for something more, but don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, Mr. Chairman, from whence did you ascertain the gender of our main character as female? As for being hard on classmates, consider, perhaps, the defense mechanisms of a largely isolated young person. That said, I don’t disregard your opinion. No worries about Jani “fading away.” Such a character’s character won’t be gone for long. As for the teacher, just you wait to read what happens next. Finally, for today, the “something more” sought by the two friends is part of the whole point of this epic. This underlying theme will continue. Perhaps I’m revealing too much here, but your sage comments motivate me to do so. As always, thanks for your noteworthy comments.

      Delete

Post a Comment