Skip to main content

Please Cheer Loud(ly)

Hello and welcome to another sunny Saturday here at the Wannaskan Alamanc. Today is March 23rd.

I've decided March is my favorite winter month. It's the time of year for making the best snowmen and snowballs. It warms up fast and everything starts to melt, urging us to get outdoors before it's all gone. I have a sneaking suspicion that spring doesn't actually happen in Wannaska country. It's all winter, winter, winter then - boom - summer. I don't know how the lilacs handle it.

We started the week with snowbanks over 4 feet high. Now they're a meager 2 feet and shrinking as I type this. I see pavement again and we celebrated by pulling out the bikes and a scooter, making rounds in the driveway. I took a snapshot of myself and felt a shock as I saw, not myself, but my mother.

It's not bad to look like one's mother. But the realization that, the older I get, the more I look like mine is well - shocking. If I'm starting to look like her, does that mean I'll start acting like her, too?

My mom prefaces every tentative get-together with "weather pending." At the same time, she wants to plan at least one month out so she can decide what to do with the dog.

Starting this winter, I've also started using the expression "weather pending." I, too, try to plan things a month in advance. But when she called on Wednesday to ask if I wanted to do something on Saturday (The dog went to the kennel last Sunday), weather pending, I said, "That's so far out. I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow."

My mom's a nice person, though, so I don't mind looking like her. I'm a  bit more outgoing than she is so I'm pretty sure she will be tempted to die of embarrassment when she sees I've posted her picture here. Maybe I should remove it. I don't want my mother to croak. I still call her whenever I'm sick, which happened to be exactly one week ago when I had strep.

Speaking of croaking, she also likes frogs. "F.R.O.G. means fully rely on God!" she told me yesterday. Maybe her heaven looks like a pond of frogs perched on green lily pads. She also likes to fish. So let's add some pan fish to her pond. Her birthday's coming up. Maybe she'll need a new fishing pole. Can you take your pole with you to heaven?

I have no affection for frogs. My idea of heaven is an open road with endless adventures, a sun in the horizon promising an ocean just over the next hill.

Ping!

"Oh, what's that, Mother?"

(That's another thing: I call her "mother" more than I used to. Just like she used to address her mom as they both got older.)

My mom just texted to say she's not going to die of embarrassment, but she is really not happy with me either. As payback, a fishing pole would make a perfect birthday present. We could go fishing over Mother's Day weekend. Weather pending.



Kids' Corner

The oldest texted me this picture and said, "I'm supporting your good grammar."


I'm so proud. Maybe she's becoming more like her mother! 😊

The W.A.K.W.I.R. hosted a birthday party last night. Eight boys on the cusp of adolescence is a lot, even for already bustling household of 7. He'll be back next week to give you all the b-day highlights.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2001 - The Russian space station Mir plunges into the sea
The legendary station was disposed of in a controlled crash after 15 years in space.

1980 - Archbishop Óscar Romero calls on members of the El Salvador armed forces to stop killing their fellow Salvadorians
A death squad assassinated the archbishop only one day after his famous sermon.

1956 - Pakistan becomes the world's first Islamic republic
The Dominion of Pakistan also included the area of modern-day Bangladesh or East Pakistan, which seceded in 1971.

1933 - The Enabling Act of 1933 grants Adolf Hitler dictatorial powers in Germany
With the Ermächtigungsgesetz, Hitler was awarded the legal right to issue laws even if in breach of the German constitution.

1888 - The Football League meets for the first time
The league featuring teams from England and Wales was the world's oldest Association Football league. In 1992, its top 22 teams formed the Premier League.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1968 - Damon Albarn, English singer-songwriter, producer, actor

1912 - Wernher von Braun, German physicist, engineer

1910 - Akira Kurosawa, Japanese director, screenwriter, producer

1882 - Amalie Emmy Noether, German mathematician

1749 - Pierre-Simon Laplace, French mathematician, astronomer

Remembering You

2015 - Lee Kuan Yew, Chinese/Singaporean politician, 1st Prime Minister of Singapore

2011 - Elizabeth Taylor, English/American actress

1992 - Friedrich Hayek, Austrian/English economist, philosopher, Nobel Prize laureate

1931 - Bhagat Singh, Indian activist

1801 - Paul I of Russia

Whatever you do today, "please cheer loud(ly)" and and make it a great Saturday!

Kim


Comments

  1. Great description of winter's end - we can hope. Gosh, seeing oneself in a parent is either heart-warming or very scary. The physical resemblance is genetically inevitable; acting like one's parent is another matter. Let's hope we all have positive memories of our progenitors. Just one question: is your mom the one in the brimmed hat, or E. Taylor?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment