Skip to main content

January 26

Hello and welcome to an absolutely freezing Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Yep, folks, we're officially in the thick of winter. Today is January 26th.

A big Happy Birthday to my niece who turned 18 yesterday! Sometimes, I can relate to that bitter aphorism, "Youth is wasted on the young." But not when I think about this girl. She's sweet, smart and super adventurous. I am very excited to see what she does first, next, and so forth, with her new adulthood.

And another Happy Birthday to the hubby who turned 44 on Tuesday this past week. I made a dinner fit for Thanksgiving - we usually eat pizza for Thanksgiving, so we find another spot in the calendar for this grandiose meal - and a chocolate cake that was exceptional, if I may say so. I like to bake and the goods usually turn out well, but this one - this one had a certain je ne sais quois even the kids could taste.

Now that hubby ages another year, I can't help but reflect on my own mortality. I'll be catching up to him in 4 1/2 short months, and I have to say, the audacity surrounding any sense of wisdom I thought I had gained in this life seems to wane with each year.

Youth comes with it a confidence - a certain sense of authority despite the unknowing. It's the exciting stuff that fuels revolutions and innovation. However, I'm beginning to suspect my fuel is running low.

I've always been aware that a certain displacement comes with age; that a person listens less, not more, to the older one in the conversation. Now in my mid-forties, I have become the older one in the conversation. While I believe I still have plenty to offer, I'm picking up vibes that suggest the era of my youth is sliding into the inevitable as I vacillate - sometimes several times a day - between being either the smartest person my kids know, or the dumbest doorknob they've ever met and how is it possible I am their mother?

I've also noticed a few instances, recently, in which I hang back and observe, watching the younger ones interrupt with great enthusiasm and avoid any eye contact that might invite unwanted counsel. I recognize the tactic. I'm embarrassed to admit I've employed it many times. But today, the eager beaver urge to sign up! and count me in! waxes toward let someone else take charge and I'm finding that there are plenty of people willing to step in and didn't think to ask me anyway.

How did that happen? Or, more importantly, when did this happen? I mean, I still look young. Surely there's still some boldness left in me. Some youthful guise under which I can slip some wisdom?

With this mindset, it's tempting to curl into myself and stay focused on the home front and my own singular endeavors. Especially when it's minus a million windchill outside, the novel writing isn't going well at all and the toddler decides to jump off the coffee table, a defiant gleam in his eye.

But this past Wednesday - that glorious hump day that rose above 0 F between two -30 F stretches and was filled with a good six inches of freshly fallen powder  - I took to the backyard with our NTC toboggan.There's nothing that invigorates a mind and soul like frolicking in fresh snow. After a few runs, down and back up, my heart pumping in a good way, the sky looked just a smidge bluer.

I may not be as young as I used to be, but what I discovered on the hill, this week, folks is this: there's still plenty of gas left in this girl's tank.


Kids' Corner

Q: Which U.S president vomited on the Japanese Prime Minister? 
A: George H.W. Bush on January 8,1992. The culprit? Bad sushi.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2001 - A massive earthquake hits Gujarat, India
About 20,000 people died and over 160,000 people were injured.

1998 - In a TV statement, Bill Clinton denies having had “sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky”
On August 17, 1998, Clinton admitted to having had an “improper physical relationship” with Monica Lewinsky.

1950 - India becomes a republic
The Constitution of India came into effect that day.

1905 The world's largest diamond is found in South Africa
The Cullinan Diamond weighed 3106.75 carats (621.35 g or 1.37 lb) and has an estimated value of 2 billion USD.

1788 The first Europeans settle in Australia
The first elements of the British “First Fleet” had arrived in Sydney Harbour on January 18.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1961 - Wayne Gretzky, Canadian ice hockey player, coach
"A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."

1958 - Ellen DeGeneres, American comedian, actress, talk show host
"Procrastinate now, don't put it off."

1955 - Eddie Van Halen, Dutch/American guitarist, songwriter, producer
"There are really three parts to the creative process. First there is inspiration, then there is the execution, and finally there is the release."

1925 - Paul Newman, American actor, director, race car driver, businessman of Newman's Own
"The embarrassing thing is that my salad dressing is out-grossing my films."

Remembering You

1979 - Nelson Rockefeller, American politician, 41st Vice President of the United States

1962 - Lucky Luciano, Italian/American mobster

Youth is as much as a state of mind as it is a state of body. Stay warm, stay curious and make it an adventurous Saturday!

Kim

Comments

  1. The Cullinan Diamond image on this website: http://www.cullinan-diamond.com/ looks just like my Peerless faucet handle in our basement bathroom, so this relieves me greatly that I,--no, no you in fact,--although unknowingly, have saved me a great embarrassment, for I was but on the cusp of announcing to the world--and a greater possibility, the Roseau Times-Region--that we, my wife and I, had in our possession, by chance, the world-renown Cullinan Diamond. I was 'this' close (imagine a thumb and index finger on the same hand positioned .060 of an inch from contact at their outer ends) to self-aggrandizing our discovery. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my two favs from your post:

    " . . . the era of my youth is sliding into the inevitable . . ." Oh, this was is almost too familiar; however, I'm pleased to say that unless I look in a mirror (and there is only one in or home for obvious reasons), I feel spry. Guess it might be all the yoga and swimming, but like you, and think it's also about attitude - woo-hoo!


    ". . . .the eager beaver urge to sign up! and count me in! waxes toward let someone else take charge and I'm finding that there are plenty of people willing to step in and didn't think to ask me anyway." This is a definite sign of the onset of wisdom. You go girl! Keep up the great work, and nod to the next guy or gal, shrugging your shoudlers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment