Skip to main content

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

It is December.  Here is a little Red-Green wisdom to get you started on this icy cold month!
There are now only 21 days until Christmas.  Back when I was a kid, stores weren't open on Sunday, so we would have a countdown of days until Christmas and also shopping days until Christmas.  Then there was that totally amazing Christmas tradition...one that I miss sorely...the Christmas wish book from Sears.  Catalog shopping was so much more exciting than online shopping.  You had to use your imagination.  It was fun.
Today is national wear brown shoes day.  If you are lucky enough to have read this before going out in public with white or black shoes on you are very likely extremely thankful right now.  If so, won't you donate to the Salvation Army?  Dump some dough in their kettle while they admire your nice brown shoes.
While writing this I am grudgingly snacking on lightly salted pistachios.  I usually try to get them myself, but my wife was going to the store and (I blame myself) I asked her to get me some.  I like the heavily salted, cardiologist endorsed pistachios.  She got lightly salted ones.  She is so health conscious, but doesn't seem to care about the taste.  I am not sure that lightly salted pistachios can be considered a food.  I do want to say to my lovely wife (as she is shopping on her iPad for my Christmas present) that I love her and these snacks are just delicious!  Like crunchy cardboard!  Delicious crunchy cardboard.  
One of my favorite things to do this time of year is to watch a video from the film board of Canada.  It is called The Hockey Sweater.  I like to watch it about this time because usually the Toronto Maple Leafs are eliminated by now.  Unfortunately they are likely going to make the playoffs this year.  
I did look up this day in history but it was all very boring.  I also might just be fussy and trying to get away from these pistachios.
Anyway, enjoy these last couple of weeks before Christmas!  Keep your dreams and wishes alive, and may all your pistachios be salted just right!



Comments

  1. Ah, 'pistachios'! The Buffalo Point, Manitoba, Canada, whitetail deer's choice snack, salted or unsalted. They love them so much they'll eat them from your hand as they walk past your 'cottage' on the way to the shoreline of Lake of The Woods. They're not afraid of you on Buffalo Point. They know they're quite safe from most of the vacationing population who visit their cottages (Canadian reference)/cabins(American reference) the year around, and prove to be wary of First Nations residents on The Point reserve because the deer are fair game (in the literal sense) on a 24/7 basis. Logically, the deer are not likely to be that friendly with someone who is sizing them up for steaks and chops.

    They must have misconstrued my daughter's looks of awe when one buck, in his aggressive "Give me all the pistachios in your hand and pockets!" stance and full-sized rack of antlers caused her to clamber atop her grampa's Ford Explorer and holler for someone to rescue her from him and his harem. She later said she knows why now there is a deer season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, John, that lack of salt is having a deleterious effect on your powers of observation. I can't believe you missed the formation of Les Habitants, the Montreal Candians, oldest professional hockey franchise in the world. On Dec. 4 in 1909 it was. Especially surprising after recommending The Sweater. Very nice film.
    It was also the birthday in 1925 of Mary Keegan, mother of well-known blogger and man-about-Wannaska, Joe McDonnell. Mary had many fine qualities in her own right: singer, cook, hostess extraordinaire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment