Skip to main content

Tree Fishin'

Hello and welcome to another sunny Saturday here at the Wannaskan Almanac. Today is December 22nd, aka the last Saturday before Christmas. Break out the party hats!

At our house we'll be dusting shelves and putting away books, clearing away the toys and making room for the Christmas tree which we will decorate on Christmas Eve.

Before I get too far into my Tree Fishin' story, I want to give a shout-out to my Grandma Dorothy (on my mom's side. I had two Grandma Dorothies, which, as a child, led me to believe that everyone's grandma was named Dorothy.) who would have been 99 years old on this day if she'd lived a little longer. She passed away on June 23, 2014 at age 94 1/2.

I asked my mom to send me a picture of grandma for this blog post. I'm not going to say that I don't believe in coincidences. Look at the number on the train in the background.

photo from July 1997

My grandmother was a housewife of four children who started a career during middle age, after the tragic death of her son, Jim, in a car accident. She became an elementary school teacher and boy, that lady could teach. And sing, and write, and paint, and act. Her favorite art form, though, was stained glass. Her best works were nature scenes with inlaid agates; the flow in the glass itself lending movement to clouds floating over rippling grasses near ponds with gliding loons. Her "masterpiece", if you will, are thee stained glass panels framing the door of the community room at the Lost Dutchman RV Retirement Resort in Apache Junction, Arizona.

Grandma's stained glass

Needless to say, she inspired many a child, including this kid. She taught me the word "conundrum" and my very first naughty/clever joke when she made a bouquet of condoms as a clue for the word conundrum in a game she was preparing. The game was for adults, of course, but I think her enthusiasm for her wit and creativity spurred her to share it with the only person around in that very moment, and since I was at her house a lot, that happened to be me.

Thank you for passing on your creativity, your curiosity and wacky ways, Grandma. Happy Birthday!


Last Saturday, we made our annual trek out to Espe's Christmas Tree Farm. Now that the Christmas rush has passed - the busiest season occurring the first three days after Thanksgiving and the first weekend in December - all was quiet out in the little forest.

Our newly minted, permit-bearing driver drove the van - a Toyota Sienna - with dad in the passenger seat and the rest of us strapped in the back saying our Hail Marys. Just kidding. He did a great job. 
He stayed in his lane, learned how to take the corners with improved ease (not quite there yet) and - the best news of all! - no deer! Other than the fast, tight turn into the icy, little driveway to the tree farm, I'd say the kid did pretty well.

For all the snow that fell last week, there was surprisingly only a scant dusting around the woods. Right away, our Kid Writer-in-Residence predicted we'd be taking an ATV this year instead of a snowmobile. He was right.

Hubby took the helm and the rest of us piled into the trailer - the littles gripping the plywood edge with their mittened hands. As soon as Tatinek got the 4-wheeler going, the older kids stood up, taking a surfing position as we made our way through the forest.

The Kid Writer explained to the 1st Grader and the Toddler that, while last year we'd gone tree hunting, this year we would go tree fishing. The forest was a big pond and we were taking our "boat" out and we'd throw bait over - the little ones - in hopes of catching a big one. The littles took in this information with a serious furrow of the brow, the older of the two nodding. "I'll try," she said.

First, we passed through spruce-filled waters. As I sized them up, my husband shouted over his shoulder, "We're looking for pine!" I didn't know the difference. I mean, I know the difference - I do live with a wood scientist, after all - but I didn't know why the preference.

As we rounded another corner - which the older ones safely navigated in their surfing stance - we came into a crop of pine and instantly - like, seriously, *poof* - I understood why we were fishing for pine.

Dad slowed and brought us to a stop. The older ones leaped from the cargo hold, stooped, brushed scoops of powdery snow into weak mounds and hurled them at each other.

I, too, hopped out, not to join the snowball fight, but to admire the pines. I tugged off my pink felted mitten (which I made last winter) and ran a hand over a bunch of needles. They were long and soft, in big happy clumps that filled the tree out in a wonderful dressing of green.

I thought of bumblebees rubbing their big fuzzy faces on pollen-laden anthers . Then I thought of my mother-in-law, who does a good imitation of a bumblebee rubbing its happy face in a big flower of nature's sweetness. The trees, like the bumblebees, looked fat and happy. They weren't much taller than me and wanted to hug each and every one of them..

It took all of two seconds to select the perfect fat and happy tree for our 2018 Christmas. Ours had a little extra tuft on top that made it look just a few inches taller - like a kid standing on his tippy toes, which reminded me of my absolute favorite Jan Brett story, The Trouble With Trolls.

In short order, Tata had the little saw in hand, slicing through the trunk, which gave easily. We perched it upright in the trailer and headed back to the Espe A-frame cabin where Mrs. Espe awaited with fresh cookies and your choice of a hot beverage.

A family can measure its life by this annual visit. Mrs. Espe remembers. Not everything, but little details you yourself have forgotten through the course of daily living. "Last year you weren't able to make it," she said to me. "You were sick."

That's right. I had had three illnesses in a row, wiping me out for a month, something in my current state of wonderful health *knock on wood, please* I'd forgotten.

She marveled at our brood and not just at their capacity to consume cookies (two plates' worth) but at our collective - our little family. I felt proud. I felt nostalgic.

While Mrs. Espe's Christmas music cassette played White Christmas over the speakers, I felt love.


Kids' Corner

Gone tree fishin'...

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

2010 - Don't ask don't tell was repealed
President Obama signed the repeal of the don't ask, don't tell policy that governed the recruitment and service of LGBTQ members in the United States military. The policy was put in place by the Clinton Administration in 1994.

1989 - Romanian President Nicolae Ceaușescu overthrown
The Communist President was ousted after widespread demonstrations in the country. Ceaușescu and his wife Elena tried to flee the country, but were captured, tried and executed by a firing squad. The Romanian Revolution was the only violent overthrow of a communist government in the 1980s.

1937 - Lincoln Tunnel opens
The 1.5-mile-long (2.4 km) long tunnel passes under the Hudson River and connects New Jersey to New York City.

1891 - First asteroid discovered through astrophotography
323 Brucia was discovered by Max Wolf and was named after Catherine Wolfe Bruce, an American patron of astronomy.

1882 - First Christmas tree to be illuminated by electric lights displayed
Edward H. Johnson, an associate of inventor Thomas Edison and the Vice President of the Edison Electric Light Company, became the first person to decorate a Christmas tree with electric lights at his home in New York City.


Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1989 - Jordin Sparks, American singer-songwriter, actress

1943 - Paul Wolfowitz, American politician, 25th United States Deputy Secretary of Defense

1912 - Lady Bird Johnson, American wife of Lyndon B. Johnson, 38th First Lady of the United States

1887 - Srinivasa Ramanujan, Indian mathematician

1666 - Guru Gobind Singh, Indian guru

Remembering You

2014 - Joe Cocker, English singer-songwriter

2002 - Joe Strummer, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, actor

1989 - Samuel Beckett, Irish/French author, playwright, director, Nobel Prize laureate

1942 - Franz Boas, German anthropologist

1880 - George Eliot, English author

Wannaskan Almanac Regional Social Calendar

Saturday, December 22nd
FREE Kids' Movie! @ 2pm, Roso Theater
RRHA Ram Alumni Hockey Games @ 4pm, Roseau Memorial Arena
13S - Coffee Morning & Christmas Weekend @ 9am-5pm, 13 Sisters, Greenbush

Sunday, December 23rd
St. Mary's Community Advent/Christmas Program & Social, @ 10am-1pm, Badger
Learn to Skate - All Ages! @ 3:45 - 6:45 pm, Roseau


How ever you choose to spend your day, make it a great Saturday!

- Kim

Comments

  1. Sometimes I wish my daughter Bonny had more siblings with whom to share these kind of big family memories. Our friends all had families of 3-6 offspring and the holidays are a big event, more often than not. Divorce has a way of limiting family sizes however, and in my case, Bonny 'inherited' four siblings from Jackie with whom she now even enjoys deer season an additional family 'holiday', in addition to Easter in St. Cloud, Labor Day at Stony Point Resort, Thanksgiving in Mounds View and the Christmas holidays here in Wannaska. Through your writing I can well imagine the energy generated at your house--any time of the year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for your kind words. I, too, grew up in a divorced family, so understand well your sentiment. There was even a time in my childhood when all of my cousins (on my mom's side) lived on the same street! Those were my best childhood memories. After the divorce, I pretty much became an only child, so I too, have a certain, let's say "enhanced" appreciation for big families and all the mostly happy chaos that comes with them.

      Delete
  2. Please drop all the way to the bottom of your heart(s) and feel the grace in abundance that shines within. Your mention of "love," says that you already know what I'm talking about; still, it doesn't hurt for someone else to validate what is obvious. Breathe in every second of the joy. You all deserve each other's love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the recognition. There's a certain appreciation that can be mined from all the busy-crazy. :) Looking forward to seeing you soon!

      Delete
  3. My strongest memory of Dorothy is indelibly linked with Tchaikovsky.

    Among my many jobs at Minn-Ohio was drawing up the map to send with the proposal to the DRN to subdivide the cabins. David & I measured the distance between every cabin, dock, and tree on the property and I was ensconced at Dorothy's kitchen table with pencil, paper, ruler, and compass as a makeshift cartographer.

    Dorothy had the Reader's Digest Complete Works of Tchaikovsky on about six 8-tracks and kept me supplied with classical music and lemonade for duration.

    Great gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory and thanks for sharing it! You must have been around far more than I ever realized - my child's memory is severely subjective and centers mostly around playgrounds and swimming. But I DO remember it was always fun when you came to town. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment