Skip to main content

A Backache's Perspective on Life

Greetings and welcome to our LAST Saturday of 2018 here at the Wannaskan Alamanc. Today is December 29th.

I'm somebody who likes to set goals. My eyes ever on the dreamy horizon of possibility, I relish the details in planning something that I believe is going to be super awesome. One of my goals in 2018 was to blog more. That dreamy notion didn't really gel into an actual plan, but thanks to the collaborative spirit at the Almanac, I was able to jump right on this train here. So a big hearty shout-out and hug to my WA Peeps: Chairman Joe, Wannaska Writer, Jack Pine Savage, Woe Wednesday and John for letting me join the ride.

Christmas was a quiet affair at our house and has been overshadowed by some back pain which produced new surges of empathy for my friends who deal with chronic pain (I honestly don't know how you do it) and an immense amount of gratitude for being able-bodied most of the time.

So as I rest and give cleaning and cooking instructions to the kids, I keep thinking about the future. Next year. What do I want to accomplish in 2019?

1. Balance - The secret sauce to running a crazy life with relative joy and sanity.
2. Stay able-bodied - After a year of being in a sedentary slump, I resumed exercising in December. The positive change was immediate: more energy, better mental focus, joyful emotional state and more productivity. Nothing hard core like Boot Camp Boxing; more like something steady Eddie. Get the blood pumping but keep that balance thing in check.
3. Finish Book #2 - I've been working on this thing forever. It's time to get this girl out there.

Three goals is sufficient, I think. Of course, there can be - and are - many more, but that's pretty good for now.

If you're looking for some inspiration, I just finished reading, Girl, Wash Your Face, by Rachel Hollis. It was a timely read for me and flamed the embers that were already smoldering under my butt.

Yesterday my oldest turned 17! My dad often assured me that time flies the older you get. It took a while to believe him, but now I totally get it. When the older kids were babies, then toddlers, it felt like it would take forever for them to grow up. We were anxious to take them on bike rides, go camping and hiking and teach them to ski. The elementary school years, too, dragged on, slower than I would like. Seriously, when would these kids grow up? And then they became teenagers and it's like we've been sucked into a wind tunnel. These past couple of years, I understand the desire for time to slow down just a bit - enough to catch a breath, at the very least - and I appreciate the sentiment of those older women in the grocery store who point to my current little ones, advising, "Enjoy this time because it goes so fast."

Kids' Corner

Eating candy and watching Christmas movies...

I had a story planned for today's post - Gingerbread Engineers - however, along with the government shutdown, our little house is still stacked in cookie parts, tucked away in a tupperware container in a cool place, awaiting construction. I've heard there are plans to resume building today. The walls are ready! (Ha ha.) Will keep you posted.

On This Day

Historic Highlights (credits)

1996 - Guatemalan civil war comes to an end
The 36-year long civil war fought between several leftist groups representing the indigenous people and poor and the government came to an end after Comandante Rolando Morán of the Guatemalan National Revolutionary Unity and president Álvaro Arzú signed a peace treaty under the supervision of the UN. Morán and Arzú received the Nobel Peace Prize for their role in bringing peace to the country.

1937 - Ireland established
A new constitution, established by a national referendum, changed the name of the Irish Free state to Ireland. The Irish Free State was a part of the British Commonwealth and was established in 1922 under the Anglo-Irish Treaty singed in 1921.

1916 - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man published
The first novel of Irish writer, James Joyce, the book follows the life of Stephen Dedalus, who many believe was the author's alter ego. It first came out as a series in the literary magazine, The Egoist and was then published by American publisher B. W. Huebsch. James Joyce is best known for his book Ulysses, which is about a single day in the life of advertising agent, Leopold Bloom. In honor of the book, fans of the author celebrate an unofficial holiday, Bloomsday on June 16.

1911 - Mongolian Independence
The landlocked North East Asian country declared its independence from the Qing Dynasty, after the Mongolian Revolution of 1911. The country had been under the Qing rule for about 200 years.

1890 - Wounded Knee Massacre
On this day, the U.S. Army’s 7th Cavalry tried to disarm the members of the Lakota tribe who were camped at the Wounded Knee Creek. During their attempt, a shot was fired and the cavalry massacred over 150 members of the tribe including women and children. Many historians believe that the number of people massacred was much higher. Wounded Knee is near present day Lakota Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in the state of South Dakota.

Happy Birthday to You!🎶 

1972 - Jude Law, English actor, director, producer

1953 - Stanley Williams, American gang leader, co-founded the Crips

1923 - Cheikh Anta Diop, Senegalese historian, anthropologist, physicist

1809 - William Ewart Gladstone, English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

1808 - Andrew Johnson, American politician, 17th President of the United States

Remembering You

1986 Harold Macmillan
English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

1916 - Grigori Rasputin, Russian mystic and self-proclaimed holy man who befriended the family of Tsar Nicholas II, the last monarch of Russia, and gained considerable influence in late imperial Russia.

1170 - Thomas Becket, English archbishop
He engaged in conflict with Henry II, King of England, over the rights and privileges of the Church and was murdered by followers of the king in Canterbury Cathedral. Soon after his death, he was canonised by Pope Alexander III.

New! Writers Workshop!

Have a hankering to write? Want to be better? How about to publish?

I'm teaching a workshop in January called You're Not Ready: A workshop on the path to publication. I'll be at the Roseau Library on Thursday, January 10th and Warroad on the Saturday, the 12th.

Attendees will learn how literary professionals know if a manuscript isn’t ready and what you can do to avoid these pitfalls. Using real examples, together we’ll examine a query letter, a synopsis and the first ten pages of a manuscript to identify these common problems. You’ll also get a chance to assess the readiness of your own writing projects.

Registration isn't required, but if you want to let me know you're coming, email me at kim@redshoeswriting.com or leave a comment below.


May you enjoy the fresh snow and the last few days of 2018 and make it a great Saturday!

- Kim

Comments

  1. Thanks for a fabulous year of Saturdays, Kim! I'm looking forward to reading your 2019 posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! Also, Tereza said her knife was a Leatherman and she swears by it. We didn't call the insurance company because the damage on the car was so minimal and the car has so many miles and is so old, it isn't worth it. And I will defend the existence of leprechauns and Santa Claus to the death! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I took your suggestion to read, "Neither Wolf Nor Dog" by Kent Nerburn. GREAT BOOK. In fact, I've recently read it twice, back to back. I've traveled the area in which the book takes place, so I'm familiar with the lay of the land and could imagine where they may have been. I've long felt it is a land of spirits and so tread lightly. I haven't been to the Wounded Knee site yet, but will make it one day after all the tourists are gone and I can be alone (if possible). Sacred sites are best experienced that way, I think.

    Since then I've begun reading, "Recovering The Sacred" by Winona LaDuke. She writes about Wounded Knee too. In between I'm reading, "We Have The Right To Exist" by Wub-E-Ke-Niew, an Ahnishinahbæóᵗjibway author. All three books compliment the others although the authors differ in perspective. Good winter reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super! Last Saturday was the anniversary of Wounded Knee, too. I really should have said something more about it, but due to my back, wanted to get my post done. Have you read anything by Anton Treuer? If not, I have one I can loan you. And I have an (old) anthology on Native American short stories called Talking Leaves. I haven't read it (I tend to amass books I will one day read) but it has authors I'm sure you'll recognize. Have you ever read Edward Abbey? Thinking you might like him...

      Delete
  4. Hi Mrs. Saturday! So sorry about the back. Will share esoteric remedies, if welcome.
    Am coming to workshop, probably 10th, but will confirm after I invite and hear back from my fellow writers and Wannaska denizens whether or not they are going, and invite them to ride share. Takers anyone? Could meet at Cafe 89 or across the street at the hardware store. Respond at your convenience but quickly. The chance to spend travel time with JPS is an opportunity not to be missed - not to mention Mrs. Saturday's workshop.
    Be in touch, youse guyzes. JPS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Catherine! Looking forward to seeing you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment