Skip to main content

Wannaskan Almanac for Thursday, November 8, 2018 by Iclic Vermer

Vell ve gut qwite a story to tell youse, donut t'ink ve donut. Uffdah.
Yah, Craig iss gon an' Martin iss gone, but dey vill be back dis here weekend for more bludleting.

Yon and Gretchun and Ozahwa iss leaving dis here very evening to go home.
Dey are packing evrting up now. Yon has had a nap and yust gut out off dis here showr. He smells gud. Dey all dew. Happy faces. Ozawah pooped an' evrting. He vill sleep da hol way hom now.

Gramma chastized me an da boys for gettin' up so early to be out on da stand. She read an artikle that said bucks wander 'bout bet'een da ars of ten and two oh clock, and so t'inks its silly fur us to hunt fer deer any earlee r den dat. I haf read dat artikle too an' know dat dere iss sum trut' in it, but nut awl da time. "How dem bucks no vat time iss it?" iss my qestshen, so I yust dew vat it iss I ben taut and have dun vell enuf. But shur nuff, yesterday a small four-point buck mo seed t'rough da yard ven Gretchun and gramma ver makin' coffee at nine turty in da mornin'.

"Dere's a deer," said Gretchun, nut surprised like.
"Lemme see!" shoutd Ozawah. "I wanna see! Vere iss dis 'er deer?"
"Iss a buck!" sad Gramma, excitedlee. "Stay avay frum da vindows1 Donut let him see you seein' him!"
"Donut vorry," I sad. "Dere vill be a nudder deer t'rough 'ar in turty min utts, huh? Dis vun eer iss still on daylight savings time, eh Gramma?"

Yon hurried out to da entry vere his gun vas. It vas unloaded and he 'ad no shoos on.
Da buck smelled da big pile of dirt in da yard.

Gramma wondred why it vas takin' Yon so long to git his gun and da door opn.
Da buck ti-erd of being vere he vas and walked under da appl treez.
Yon gut da dor opn.
I stud behind da door vit two of my finners in my ears (Vun finner in each ear)
Yon shot an missed, he hit an appl tree instead. Da deer ran avay. Ve lukt fer it, but it vas not hit.

I shot at a doe dis here morning only only 'bout 75 feet ahvay frum my stand. It was six fifty ate. It vas valking slo like, but I din't grunt to git it to stop.

Vere I had aimed is a small spot on da neck, a small target. I must have shot over it, becuz dis here deer ran away as tho it was frightened by the sound of the shot, not because it vas hit. Ven it's hit in dat dere spot, itz killd. It did nut die. It ran away, like I sad.

After about a half hour I vent to look fur blud, yust in case. Alto I looked fer blud var I shot it near my stand, I dint see nutin. I tracked it across da pond an' up the bank by da spruce and nort to da cemetery and kun klooded I had missed it. I vent in for brakfest. Ve eight gud.

Doncha no, dere ve vere sippn r coffee, ven dat damn same l'il buck valks t'rough da yard agin, as big as youse pleaz at nine turty! Yon runs fer iss gun and I slip down to da basemint door fer mine, slippin' on my boots and goin' out da door.
Da gurls all shout, "'es disappeard again! 'e's yust teasin' us!"

So den me and Yon vent hunteen agin, him standin' sometimes and me drivin' sumtimes--youse no, valkin' in da vuds to git da deer up--or him drivin' and me standin, then him standin' and me valkin'. Uffda ve vakkt all over da dam place, but no fresh sign morn vat vas in dis 'ere yard vit deer traks and poop everyvere. Ve shudda 'unted 'ere last night yoosing a flashlite!

The last push, I chose to valk back home t'rough da pines along da cemetery and Yon vas to valk home along da spruce below da cemetery. I gut home before him,

Dere I vas enjoieng a vell deservd extrah stout, ven Yon burst t'rough da door, sayeeng 'e discovered blud on da same trail, now a cupl hours later.

"Yah you betcha, " Yon sad, all outa breth like. "I found blud of dis deer youse shot becuz I vas vareeng dese 'ere special yellow lens glasses."

"Uffda", I sad. "Youse vant a bur?"

He vas too excited to drink a bur, plus da fact dat he vudint vant to stop drinkin' burs vunce he started. He vas drivin home this very dey and so cudint drink bur. He remindd me he had found blud.
"Let us go den, Yon" I sad. "Let us find dat blud frum my deer."

Ve vent to var Yon had found blood. Shure nuff, Yon had found blud.
I dint see blud ven I lookt, but ven I backtrakt vere it vent t'rough da svamp, I sees blud!

Embarassin', donut you no? No mistaken it, dat dere vas blud. Ve followd it ferverd an' bacverd. Dere vasint much. Yon had found a little blud on dat trail I had follod to d cemetery. He vas veareen dose special glasses. I need me a pear.

" I tink I mitive yust shot et in da ear, Yon." I sad. "It von't kill et, but I m not 'appy I dun it enny mor den 'ets 'appy I dun it. Im goin' to shoot a bunch of targets tomorrow furshur."

No hunting for me untel da boys, Craig and Martin retrn.

Comments

  1. So if I’ve got this right, Yon bagged himself Gramma’s appl tree and Thor tweezed of a tip of deer ear? I’m imagining Ozaawa’s dreams on his long ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Woe, Ozaawaa is used to such mischief living on a rez. Didn't faze him much. Having the attention of both his parents and two of his grandparents, two uncles and an aunt for the length of his stay, soothing whatever turmoil he might have had even in the remotest sense. Using flashlites, Grampa and two uncles took him tracking after dark one evening (scary). His Aunt Bonny, schooled him in the fine art of whittling one afternoon. His mom had some one-on-one time with him everyday. Dad bear-hugged him frequently. Gramma was ever-present, and clued-in to his every want, need or desire. Ozaawaa--and everyone else from faraway, who visit here--benefit at "Reynolds Rehab," a rural MN mental health care facility in the heart of Palmville Township.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need one of these: https://www.cabelas.com/category/DN-Point-Buck-Found-With-Drone/905180580.uts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment