Skip to main content

November 6, 2018

Welcome to the Wannaskan Almanac for Tuesday, November 6, 2018.  I am fresh out of ideas.  Thanks for reading!




Okay, so I can't get away with that.  I was hoping, but I am extremely well compensated for writing this journal (have you ever had Joe's pizza?) so I guess I will actually have to write something.  It is election day, so I can safely assume that every victory speech will be met with half the country acknowledging the end of the world.  As a matter of fact, the world seems to end every election...and then it keeps on going.  Maybe I shouldn't care so much about elections...maybe I don't already...seeing as it is hockey season.  As long as the Canadiens win I don't really care who wins a silly election!
On to lighter things such as feathers and helium balloons.  
This day in history:
1860 Abraham Lincoln was elected as the 16th President of the United States.
1941 Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.  Actually this was 31 days later, but I am usin metric time.
1947 NBC's Meet the Press first aired.  
Famous people born on this day:
1861 James Naismith (Canadian who invented both basketball and the football helmet)
1946 Sally Field (The Flying Nun)

I knew that James Naismith invented basketball, but I just found out that he invented the football helmet.  It is only an assumption, but I think he probably had a basketball split in half and then decided to put it on his head as a gag.  The minimal protection it gave him probably got his creative juices flowing.  Could it be used to protect people from the constant hail storms experienced during the 1800's?  Was it a fashion statement?  Could it be used to protect a man from a 300 pound defensive lineman?  Bingo!  That is how most inventions come about...completely by accident!

Today I will close with an attempt to become the worst love poet in the world.  There are a lot of really bad ones.  An internet search turned up hundreds and thousands of them, but they just weren't me.  So here goes:

Roses are red, violets are blue.
This poem about flowers is my gift to you.
Shifting gears.
How do I love thee, let me count the ways.
One, two, three, uh...three and a half.
Three and three quarters on good days.

If you can come up with a worse one, why not comment below with it?  You can take the title with a little bit of work!  It is a very coveted award!





Comments

  1. Roses are red, violets are blue
    I can't rhyme
    But I love your blog posts, ohmigod they're so funny.

    If the end of the world is coming, at least I can feel good in having participated by voting. (There's got to be a squib in there somewhere.) And I would WISH to have Joe's pizza, alas I haven't permeated that inner circle of Wannaskan Almanackers. A girl can always hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ??? 1941 Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. ??? December 7, 1941

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn to make pizza.
    I know it's a pain.
    But people will love you,
    That's surely a gain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment