Skip to main content

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

August 14, 2018 is:
226th day of the year. There are then 139 days left in 2018.
55th day of Summer. There are 39 days left till Fall.
There are no American holidays that are recognized on August 14. It is Independence Day in Pakistan. If you wish to celebrate there, a plane ticket will be about $850 from Minneapolis. There are no direct flights from Wannaska to Pakistan.
On this day in History:
In 1945 V-J Day, Japan surrenders unconditionally to end WW II.
In 1947 Pakistan gains independence from Great Britain, hence the ticket price quote above.
And that is pretty much it. There really isn't much else in history that happened on August 14. I figure that is probably because it is too hot usually on that day. You do know why they call this month August, right? It is because (until the invention of air conditioning) people spent the whole month wishing for a gust of cool wind. Actually, August was named after Augustus Caesar. Previously, August was called “Sextillia," which was Latin for “sixth." Back then there were only ten months in the year, and August was the sixth. If this month was still called Sextillia, I think it might be celebrated in some interesting and memorable ways.

Some authors born on August 14 include:
1575 Robert Hayman, English-born poet
1802 Letitia Elizabeth Landon, England
1842 Henry Duff Traill, British author and journalist
As you can see, one of the writers was English, one was from England, and one was British. I try to be multicultural.
Back to the word of the day. I am over the strange, Bermuda Triangle like disappearance of my words from last week. The word of the day is xylotomous. This has to do with wood cutting or carving. Most years at about this time there is a wood cutting party in Wannaska. Many people come together at the Solom ranch to cut wood for the upcoming winter. This is a picture from a few years ago.
The men working at the wood cutting party are truly poetry in motion. There is a blade spinning at the speed of light only inches from where they are standing, yet they do not get harmed. The logs are hauled, cut, and stacked by awesome neighbors who are paid with lunch and the occasional welding or blacksmith favor. It is the way things are supposed to happen when you are a community. They are, in my opinion, model citizens.
I will leave you with a little bit of shaved ice stand humor...my attempt at a pun that backfired. The other day I took some youth to our shaved ice stand. I told one of the young men that I remembered that they used to have a tree flavored shaved ice, but they quit making it because it was too "stick"y. He looked confused for a minute and then burst out laughing. "I get it," he said. "Because of the sap!" I shook my head and then laughed myself. Someone there was definitely a sap!
If you enjoyed what you read and want to share something, like a recipe for tree flavored lutefisk, you can email me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com. I cannot lye...I always read emails about lutefisk!



Comments