Skip to main content

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

I really want to swear here. That is how disgusted I am that I will have to wait until 2025 to be able to write a Tuesday blog post on April Fool's Day. It is a tragedy, to say the least, because most of my blog posts have been barely above that prank-playing holiday's level. Such injustice. I shall lay down my pen and not pick it up until 2025.
It doesn't seem like it, but this is actually twenty minutes after I typed that last line. I have been sulking on a comfy chair; wrapped up in a blanket with only a cup of lukewarm hot chocolate to keep me company. Sigh. Well, it isn't April Fool's Day, but life must go on.
On April 3 there are many awesome, non-prank related things that have happened. In 1043 AD Edward the Confessor was crowned King of England. I read through a timeline of events in his life and have to confess...it seems like he really didn't do a whole lot. He was called the confessor because he often attended church to confess his sins. Perhaps he should have done more pre-confession self-reflection.
In 1776 George Washington received an honorary degree from Harvard College.
In 1860 the Pony Express began service between St Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California.
In 1882 American outlaw Jesse James was killed by Robert Ford at his home in St Joseph, Missouri. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find out if news of this death could have been carried by Pony Express.
In 1926 Robert Goddard launched his second flight of a liquid-fueled rocket. The first launch was probably on April 1. I will write about that in 2025...and I am back to my chair for more blanket and hot chocolate.
Okay, I will struggle on. Your word of the day is galimatias. Those of you who have spent any time reading my blog posts will have an appreciation of this word. I will give you the meaning in a bit.
A very interesting person was born on this date in 1715. John Hanson was born in Maryland, and he is often overlooked. He was the 1st United States President. Now please, before you send me a 1 dollar bill with a picture of George Washington on it, let me explain. Well, actually, send me the dollar first. Good. John Hanson was the 1st US President under Articles of Confederation. He was elected in 1781. The first President under the Constitution was George Washington. He was inaugurated on April 30, 1789. There is a bit of a conflict between people, even to this day, about who was actually the first President of the United States. My advice...stay out of it. Just nod and agree with whoever you are talking to about it.
Today, while not a prank-playing celebration, is noted for the following:
It is Don't Go to Work Unless it's Fun Day. Why not celebrate with a sick day?
It is also National Chocolate Mousse Day. Feel free to take the cheese off of the trap and put some chocolate down.
It is also Tweed Day. Celebrate by dressing a chocolate mouse in tweed. You will be the hit of the party.
Oh, and one more thing. Galimatias is nonsense or a confused mixture of unrelated things. If you like your galimatias, email me at ffefreekshow@hotmail.com . I promise to reply with your own, personalized galimatias...in 2025.

Comments

  1. You'll always be our favorite fool!

    Warm up your hot chocolate, wrap yourself in a tweed blanket, and enjoy the following Galimatias loops until 2025: https://soundcloud.com/galimatias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so fast! Gal Matias is a 26-year-old electronic artist from the small town of Fredrica in rural Slovenia, currently residing in Los Angeles, California where he works as a male stripper. Changing his name to Galveston, in 2006, 'Gal', attempted to sway public performance opinion by performing his striptease act in reverse. Promptly arrested by county deputies before he was able to seductively don his cap, some on-lookers cheered the cops on, woefully acknowledging that the 'tease' part of Gal Matias's former act was much better left to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you looking for a Car Spraying in Bristol?
    Car Spraying in Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a word of reminder after you've may your Bristol car spraying decision, John has April 1 posts in perpetuity, giving Jack Pine Savage the day off, where John must again publish his usual plum Tuesday post the following day this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment